LARGEST COMPONENT OF $750M REDEVELOPMENT OUT TO TENDER TODAY
July 30, 2012
Perth Airport Pty Ltd has gone out to tender today, for the most significant component of the $750 million redevelopment program - the construction of the new Domestic Pier and International Departures expansion. This is the largest and most complex of the redevelopment projects, and will be completed by July 2014.
New Domestic Pier
With the new Domestic Terminal currently being built in close proximity to the International Terminal, which will primarily service regional Western Australia as well as some interstate routes from 2013, the addition of the Domestic Pier at Terminal 1 (T1) will enable passengers to transfer seamlessly between regional, interstate and international services.
“The contemporary design of the pier and the incorporation of gates that will allow Perth Airport to service wide-bodied aircraft, such as Virgin’s A330 and the Airbus A380, are critical to the success of our business and that of our airline customers,” said Perth Airport Chief Executive Officer, Brad Geatches.
The new Domestic Pier at T1, which will become home to Virgin Australia in 2014, includes:
- a spacious check-in hall with conventional services as well as check-in kiosks and bag drop technology,
- a large domestic security screening area,
- a premium lounge for Virgin Australia,
- a departures concourse and lounge area with expansive views across the airfield,
- eight gates – four of which are Multi-Aircraft Ramp System (MARS) configured gates able to service two narrow-bodied or one wide-bodied aircraft,
- nine airside retail and food and beverage outlets,
- an enclosed airside link to the new Domestic Terminal for transiting passengers,
- a baggage reclaim hall with two large belts suitable for wide-bodied aircraft passenger numbers,
- an arrivals hall with a café, and
- ground level airport accommodation and facilities.
International Departures expansion
The International Departures expansion will facilitate the introduction of regular services by international airlines using Code F wide-bodied aircraft, such as the A380. The expansion includes:
- a new international check-in area with 18 additional check-in counters,
- the reconfiguration of a bank of existing check-in counters to give additional capacity,
- a new and spacious international departures lounge on the first floor, with seating for up to 800 passengers, new amenities, a retail outlet, a café and space for airline lounges, and
- additional back-of-house facilities for international airlines.
“Our vision is to ensure all customers and visitors to our airport enjoy a superior customer experience and I am confident that in just a few years’ time, Perth Airport will have achieved just that,” Mr Geatches said.
- Images of the new Domestic Pier and International Departures expansion project are available on request.