You are here:

Tourist refund scheme

You can claim a refund of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) that you pay on certain goods you buy in Australia and then take out of Australia with you or in your checked luggage or carry-on bags.

The Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) is operated by the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection, and is open to all overseas visitors and Australian residents, except for operating air and sea crew.


You can make a claim for a tax refund by visiting one of two TRS facilities at T1 International; one after Passport Control and one in the public Arrivals Hall near the car rental counters. You can also make a claim via their website or mobile app.

For more information about the TRS and how to make a claim, visit the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.