“Will Santa find us in America, dad?”
This Perth father shares his take on travelling with kids during the festive season.
Jared usually spends Christmas at home in Perth but, this year, he's taking his six year old son, Oliver to the USA. Jared and his wife, Deanne, have always wanted to spend the festive season overseas and, now that Oliver is older, they figure this is the year to treat themselves!
While New York will be a highlight for the couple, Oliver is (unsurprisingly) most excited for Disneyworld. His aim for the holiday is the “bring some snow home!”
Jared’s biggest tip for travelling with a child? “Do a test run.”
He recommends starting out with shorter journeys – they went to Rottnest first, then to Bali, before making the decision to travel further with Oliver. Luckily, their trial trips encouraged them to book their dream holiday this year.
“We’ll definitely be arriving at Perth Airport early,” says Jared, “mainly for peace of mind, as I know the airport will be busier during the festive season, but also to make the most of the experience for Ollie.”
Travelling with kids over the holidays?
- Book your parking online to have one less thing to worry about on the day of your journey.
- Make time to show your little ones the Christmas decorations, especially the Boab tree at T1 International ground floor forecourt.
- You might be lucky to spot Aussie Santa If you’re travelling in Terminal 1 between Thursday 19 and Tuesday 24 December (1-4pm each day) – he’ll be giving away candy canes too!
- If you’re travelling between Thursday 19th and Tuesday 24th December, you may hear Christmas carols reverberating around the terminals. See exact timings of the performances in the table below.
- Get your Christmas shopping done and dusted – duty-free and stress-free! Shop duty free
- Start your holiday early by enjoying festive food and drinks before your flight. See dining options
- Check out some more top tips for travelling with children.
|23 Dec||5-8pm||Outside, near boab tree|
|T1 Domestic||23 Dec||12-3pm||Check-in area|
|Near baggage claim|
However you celebrate, Merry Christmas from everyone at Perth Airport.