Seafood lunch and a swim – my quintessential Aussie Christmas!
Mum of two, Cynthia, is looking forward to spending the day with family, a glass of wine in hand and a bowl of prawns to share.
The kids have to put the kettle on first, though, before finding out what Santa has left in their stockings. Only once Cynthia and her partner have coffees in hand, can the boys rip their presents open.
The day unfolds from there, with family arriving at Cynthia’s place throughout the morning. “My parents come up from Bunbury and my cousins from Margaret River – all in all there’s usually over 15 of us for lunch,” says the Perth-based florist.
“We’ll sit outside on the balcony of our new house this year, overlooking the pool.”
Traditionally, the family prepare prawns, cold meats and salads for Christmas lunch. If they’re lucky, one of the cousins will also bring along some crayfish. “It’s very conventional!” says Cynthia.
Another essential element to Cynthia’s Christmas is a swim, either in the ocean or a pool.
“It’s been such a part of my life since I was a small child,” she says. “There’s something so special about going down to the beach and seeing that gorgeous blue water and cooling off!”
If you’re travelling through Perth Airport this festive season, you can also enjoy a slice of that typical Aussie Christmas terminal-side.
- Try the “Cheeky Monkey” Beer Battered Fish, sourced fresh from Albany, at Three Bears in Terminal 3.
- Graze on the selection of Margaret River cheese, crackers, quince paste at Harvest Food Store (Terminal 1).
- Sample the local WA wine selection at The Crafty Swan (Terminal 1).
- Savour an ice-cold Little Creatures Pale Ale or a Matso’s Ginger Beer at Loco Poco (Terminal 1).
- From carol singers, to Santa, to Aussie-themed Christmas decorations, find out what’s on at Perth Airport this Christmas.
However you celebrate, Merry Christmas from everyone at Perth Airport.